-
January 11th, 2002, 02:40 PM
#11
Inactive Member
Maybe this issue is important thematically to the story, particularly as a counterpoint to Katchoo and Miss Noel(more likely Miss N. and Molly as counterpoints to Kat). Everything doesn't(necessarily) have to be every major plot point boom, boom, boom. Theme, allegory, capturing life as it is(like the long stretches in Cerebus, not that they couldn't get annoying sometimes). I assume this is important, especially since Terry's change of heart about M&P. Sam Kieth was great about telling a short story, within the larger tale(the Maxx), about a supporting character for an issue or 2. Of course, to be fair, many of those were Sam dragging the latter part of the series out when he was getting bored with it, but I don't see Terry being like this here.
The story itself... interesting how underplayed the father's abuse was; not overt, you had to have faith that that was what the suicide(or "suicide") was about. Also, was the husband bad, too, or just an innocent shlub stuck in above his head? And, in the scene where she approached the author, there was lots of sympathy towards her on the part of the reader, even without her tragic backstory.
-
January 11th, 2002, 02:43 PM
#12
Inactive Member
Word.
(Yo Oz, how's it goin'?)
Well, I hated natural born killers. It was an hour and half of my life that I can never get back. This issue of SiP was significantly better. If this was the first appearance of Molly, I would have liked it more. Much more, actually, because then, going into M&P would have been revealing more about this issue, instead of the other way around.
As too whether or not we see Molly again, well, let me point out that at the end of the issue, she is obviously intent on killing SOMEONE. And right now, there is nobody intent on killing either Francie, Kat, or David(or Freddie, or Casey, or Brad, or Joe.......etc.) Sounds like peanut butter and chocolate to me, if I know Terry's writing style. 
Joe Straczynski once said 'Stories have beginnings, middles, and ends.' Right now, SiP is starting to look like a depsressed Francine after one of her milk shakes......
A bit big in the middle. (Sorry Francie, cheap shot, I know....)
This story has an end. Terry said so. Why all the meandering aboot to get to it?
This isn't the Avengers, where you can just shift gears onto another character or subset, this isn't an anthology about the a group of friends, its a story aboot 2 girls(and the sand in the gears known as David
).
Back when they were finishing shooting for the last season for Babylon 5, several of the actors were all like' Let's keep going, yeah, let's do more B5, c'mon another season won't hurt....'
Joe just shook his head and said sorry folks, this is my vision, the end is the end.
Same thing with SiP, except bit playeers like Molly seem to be convincine Terry otherwise...
In the end, SiP would have to drop and incredible amount and stay sucky for a long time before I'd drop it. Hell, I read Dan Jurgen's Captain America for 2 YEARS. 2 YEARS people<shudder>
(I really just wanted to know what the Red Skull did with the Helicarrier, honest...)
SiP is really good on it's worst day. My input only represents my hopes that overall, in the end, SiP is incredibly fantastic. The real only problem I see right now is that Terry writes like he's publihing graphic novels, but then releases the story in comics issue chunks. Pacing has always been his problem. Truth be told, I'd rather see an SiP graphic novel once every 6-9 months and do away with the monthly issues. Many agree that is the eventual destination of the art form known as comics, so what the heck, why not jump on that train now?(I know why from a business stand point, I'm just talking hypothetically in the creative realm.)
Just my nickel(keep the change....)
Darth
------------------
'A long life eating mush is best.'
Kawatabuke Sanjuro, ronin
-
January 11th, 2002, 08:46 PM
#13
Inactive Member
-
January 11th, 2002, 08:47 PM
#14
Inactive Member
-
January 12th, 2002, 12:54 AM
#15
Inactive Member
uh, can i point something out in teh whole miss noel, katchoo, molly thing?
miss noel was an adult. granted a young college student, but katchoo was 15 when she was raped, and i'm willing to guess that molly was younger since he died a year before she was with ben and she had to be 15-16 then. she probably didn't know what was going on when mr. lane first came at her. i'm not saying it's ok that she did the things she did later, but she didn't have the benefit of age that katchoo and miss noel did. you handle things better at 15 then you did at 9. that's it.
m
------------------
little miss philophobic ^__~
-
January 12th, 2002, 03:42 AM
#16
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:
Word.
right now, there is nobody intent on killing either Francie, Kat, or David
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heh, heh, heh. (evil laugh)
------------------
Peregrinator in paradiso.
-
January 13th, 2002, 10:06 AM
#17
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:
As too whether or not we see Molly again, well, let me point out that at the end of the issue, she is obviously intent on killing SOMEONE. And right now, there is nobody intent on killing either Francie, Kat, or David(or Freddie, or Casey, or Brad, or Joe.......etc.) Sounds like peanut butter and chocolate to me, if I know Terry's writing style. 
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, there was that, but I didn't take it as an implication that Molly would soon be setting her sights on everyone's favorite main characters, just as her semi-psychotic determination not to be the victim again.
Honestly, if we ever do see Molly chasing after the girls, cleaver in hand, I'd be EXTREMELY dissapointed. I can't think of any way that story could be anything but really weak.
------------------
"Listen to the chair leg of truth! It does not lie! What does it say?"
-
January 13th, 2002, 03:46 PM
#18
Inactive Member
My point exactly Janine.
But if Molly doesn't appear in the story beyond this issue, why have a whole issue dedicated to here?
Unless it was to drum up extra sales of the soon to be re-printed M&P Special.....
Darth
------------------
'A long life eating mush is best.'
Kawatabuke Sanjuro, ronin
-
January 14th, 2002, 12:17 AM
#19
Inactive Member
Welcome, Terri W, and have some oreos.
I think a lot of readers share your desire for the main story to continue. But there is still a year and a half to go.
------------------
Peregrinator in paradiso.
-
January 14th, 2002, 12:24 AM
#20
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terri W:
And although I don't necessarily understand what Terry is doing. I think you should take it easy on him.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't worry Terri, Terry is a big boy and can take it. Besides, he knows we love him, even if we give him a few cyber-noogies once in awhile. 
Darth
------------------
'A long life eating mush is best.'
Kawatabuke Sanjuro, ronin
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks